Hello from Austin!
We’re back with a new episode! Tune in as your co-hosts Professor Steve Vladeck and Bobby Chesney discuss and debate:
- SCOTUS narrows the scope of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in Van Buren
- SCOTUS grants cert. in Fazaga, adding to the sense that the October ’21 Term will be unprecedented for its engagement with state secrets privilege and FISA issues
- The Biden Administration withdraws IEEPA sanctions against TikTok and WeChat…for now, at least!
- GTMO closure trial-balloon? About that NBC News story that mentions a possible desire to put the long-term military detainees in a Supermax prison rather than a military facility
- Over-the-horizon uses of force in Afghanistan post-withdrawal: so, will that be subject to the PPG as a use of force outside a zone of active hostilities?
- Leak-hunt subpoenas: we’ve got subpoenas concerning the communications of journalists…and Members of Congress…and the White House Counsel. Where are the legal and policy redlines in such cases?
- Mike Flynn, Larabee, and the idea of recalling separated servicemembers in order to subject them to court-martial proceedings (based on post-separation conduct)
Also, did we mention the Mets are in first place? Join the MLB-themed frivolity as we ramble about teams and players doing surprisingly well and surprisingly not-so-well!