Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More
After an extra-long break, we are back…and swamped! Tune in for debate and discussion of, among other things:
- The National Guard deployments to Washington, DC, including questions of status, command, and authority
- The special circumstances of the DC National Guard (and, relatedly, the issue of DC statehood)
- The Third Amendment, hotels, and originalism???
- Civ-Mil relations and the weird weeks for General Milley and Secretary Esper
- The Tom Cotton Op-Ed and the NY Times’ response to the fallout from it
- The NDAA and proposals to mandate renaming of US military bases named for Confederate Generals
- GTMO, military commissions, the Majid Khan ruling (to the effect that torture can be cited as grounds for mitigation at sentencing), and implications for the 9/11 prosecution and capital punishment
- President Trump’s Executive Order declaring a national emergency vis-a-vis the prospect of ICC action against U.S. personnel, and the corresponding creation of a sanctions regime against not just ICC personnel involved in such actions but also against those who materially support them.
And a surprisingly belated-yet-timely review of HBO’s Watchmen series. Seriously, if you haven’t watched it yet, get started!